Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Smiles Are Contagious

Our son is now almost four months old, and I am amazed by how much he changes daily. One of the most amusing developments of the past six weeks or so is that he now smiles - and does so all the time. It is heart-warming to see, and it got me thinking...

Nobody taught him how to smile or explained to him what it means. Sure, he's seen us do it. Clearly, we are hard-wired for this sort of expression. He recognizes my smile, and he smiles right back at me, without ever knowing how or necessarily having a reason. And seeing him smile makes me happy.

Could it be that smiles are contagious? Does seeing someone smile make you happier? If you smile, does it put you in a better mood? I am guessing there is something to this and there is a scientist somewhere who can prove my hypothesis.

I try to greet each of my swimmers at every morning practice with a "Good morning ______" and a smile. They do not always respond, but I am working on that...

No comments:

Post a Comment